The first European
settlers in what is today the City of Langley, were William
and Adam Innes, two brothers who came to British Columbia
from near London, Ontario with the intention of freighting
to the Cariboo goldfields. The early pioneers had to settle
in a semi circle to the east, south and west between the Hudson
Bay farm and the foot of the highland.
The original settlement at Langley City was known as "Innes
Corners", and later was called "Langley Prairie"
when the post office was transferred there in 1911. This was
one of the many small communities established in the area,
separated from other settlements by large tracks of farm land
and bush. The construction of the Inter-Urban railroad (BC
Electric Railway) in 1910 resulted in significant growth in
The area along (Old) Yale Road developed into a major business
and service centre and attracted trade from all over Langley.
Continued growth resulted in the demand for higher levels
of service in the community and on March 15, 1955, the City
of Langley, with its current boundaries, was incorporated
as a separate municipality.
In the years since incorporation, the population has grown
from an initial poplulation of 2,025 to an estimated 24,000